FMS or Fleet Management System is an international standardized interface for commercial vehicles. With the FMS standard it’s possible to retrieve manufacturer independent data to compare vehicles and drivers, no matter what brand or type they are. With the FMS data you have a useful insight of the vehicle and drivers’ performance, which can help you optimize vehicle usage and utilization.
Parameters within the FMS standard
- Vehicle speed (wheel based)
- Vehicle speed (from tachograph)
- Accelerator pedal position (0–100%)
- Clutch switch (on/off)
- Brake switch (on/off)
- Cruise control (on/off)
- PTO (Status/Mode)
- Engine coolant temperature
- Total fuel used (litres since lifetime)
- Fuel level (0–100%)
- Engine speed (RPM)
- Axle weight (kg)
- Total engine hours (h)
- FMS-Standard software version (supported modes)
- Vehicle identification number (ASCII)
- Tachograph information
- High-resolution vehicle distance
- Service distance
Combining FMS data
Next to these standard parameters it’s possible to combine parameters to get even more useful data like:
- Engine Speed + Engine coolant temperature will give you possible high RPM’s whit a cold engine.
- Vehicle Speed and the Accelerator pedal position can give you information about coasting.
- Vehicle Speed and the Brake switch gives you information about braking at highway speeds (which tells you that the speed is possibly too high).
- Axle weight + Distance gives to data about the load of the vehicle in relation to the weight.
- Distance + Brake switch = meters of braking activity.
FMS data + GPS data
And adding another source, like a FleetGO device, will give you endless possibilities, some examples:
- Ignition ON + Vehicle speed = idle time
- Geolocation + Distance = distance in urban/rural areas
- Time + Distance = distance during rush hours
- Time + PTO status = PTO time usage
- Geolocation + PTO status = time PTO used at specific location
- RPM + Virtual Trigger = measure how many times a certain trigger is violated
FleetGO’s FMS solution
If a truck is provided with the FMS output, the FleetGO control unit can simply be connected to this interface and extract all data from the vehicle and tachograph.
Unfortunately the standard FMS output is still an option of choice with most manufacturers. DAF is the only brand that upfits every vehicle with a standard FMS-interface. In cases where there is no standard output, an aftermarket FMS interface can help; this is a small devices that converts all (raw) CAN-bus data to the FMS standards. This is applicable from most trucks and coaches from 2004 and up.